- Departments E - G
- Floodplain & Drainage
- Flood-Prone Property Buyout Program
Flood-Prone Property Buyout Program
Flood-Prone Property Buyout Application Deadline is May 30th. See below for application.
The City of Garland adopted Ordinance No. 7382 creating the “Voluntary Flood-Prone Property Buyout Program” for residential properties susceptible to creek flooding. The program is intended to provide the opportunity for relief to affected Garland residents by allowing the City to make an offer to purchase frequently flooding properties located in the floodplain or floodway and restore those properties to their natural flood functions promoting the health, safety and welfare of the residents. In order to leverage taxpayer dollars, the City will follow the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) requirements, processes and procedures to maintain eligibility for federal grant funding. For more about the Ordinance, program requirements, process and Frequently Asked Questions, please refer to the additional links and information on this page.
Flood-Prone Property Buyout Program City Ordinance No. 7382
Flood-Prone Property Buyout Program Guidelines
Flood-Prone Property Buyout Applications are accepted from March 1st to May 30th. Use the link below to access the application. E-mail completed applications to FloodProneBuyout@garlandtx.gov
Application deadline is May 30th.
- What is the purpose of the program?
- How do I apply for the program?
- What properties are eligible for the program?
- Is this program mandatory?
- Does this program affect the value of my property?
- If I am not selected, do I have to apply every year?
- When can applications be submitted?
- What if I change my mind after the application is submitted?
- How will the property value be determined?
- What if I disagree with the fair market appraisal value provided by the City?
- Will the City exercise eminent domain to acquire properties for this program?
- How long does the buyout process take?
- What if the grant application is not selected by FEMA?
- Why does the buyout process take so long?
- When will the applicant know if their property has been chosen to be a part of the program?
- What happens to the property after the buyout process?
- If a homeowner has negative equity on their mortgage, can they participate in the program?
- Are rental properties eligible for the program?
- Does the property owner receive reimbursement for moving expenses?